Friday, September 21, 2012

Another day older (16 stone and what do you get)

25 stone actually --- well, closer to 26.

I remember eating breakfast this morning.  It was a followthrough on my thoughts last night.  A bag of cauliflower florets bought at expiration (manager discount) about a week ago (steamed), begging to be used.  A couple small (3 inch by 1 inch) farmers market sweet potatoes, peeled and steamed, and a supermarket butternut -- about 2" cut from the neck, steamed.  Hand mixer blend of the three with about 2 tbsp of cream cheese and 1 tbsp of almond butter.  I forget how I seasoned -- pretty much winged it.  It was bland, but tasty.  The nut butter was an afterthought.  I probably could have used that exclusively.  Something was needed.  What I used worked out pretty nicely for consistency, mouth feel and flavor.

I forgot to take the smoothie again.  I walked -- about a mile round trip,  not sure exactly -- to the closest restaurant, BBQ joint run by a master chef,  for a pint of collards.  Pretty salty, with a good amount of bacon.  I got some sauce to mix in it.  Yum. 

Dinner was soup.  Some flaked salmon I had smoked on Weds.  Some fish stock I made last week.  Ginger and daikon shavings.  Some grocery-store broth.  Cabbage.  Mushrooms (oyster, crimini and some other kind in a mix), Sorghum noodles.  Seasoned with dill and fennel, pepper, sea salt.  Kinda bland.  Not real fishy.  Best when I got a ginger sliver on the spoon. Also put a prickly pear innards into the soup.  I had expected to have something firm inside to be shaved, but it was kinda pulpy and seedy like pomegranite.  Not sure how it influenced the flavor, but I've been at a loss how to use the thing.  This is my first experience with it.

I also prepared stuffed peppers for tomorrow.  Used the corn in the stuffing, with some miropoix and cabbage, brown rice, diced beef and breakfast sausage.  The peppers I stuffed were starting to go bad.  I need to make what I envision while shopping within 2 days.  Sometimes I don't until a week later.  Not too often I let my veggies turn to slime.  I catch and cut off the first bit of slime and finally use what I ought have used a week ago.

Speaking of which -- as an appetizer, I had about 1/3 jar of locally made kraut that had been sitting in the back of the fridge for a couple months.  --  I've got a jar of brand-name live-culture kraut that's fresher, so -- I just wolfed down the old jar.  Having put in my denture (full upper plate -- I have about 10 teeth left on the bottom) for the kraut, I finished of some veggie chips my wife brought home from Big Lots. 

On the recovery front, my erstwhile sponsor decided wisely that it was premature for him to be a sponsor.  I'm still looking.  I've a plan to seek one out in Richmond, at a newcomers OA meeting.  The writing tool is going well for now.  I'm writing to nobody in particular -- maybe God -- open letter to the Higher Power.  tee hee.  As blogs go, this might flicker out sooner or later, but for now, I'm compelled to keep this going. 

Ah... snacks.  Last night I was content with the grapes and sweet corn.  Tonight, I've not planned.  That pie and ice cream I've been avoiding -- this may be the right night to indulge.  My problem with OA is whether such laspes as the 8 hour fast between breakfast and dinner is a violation of abstinence,  or if a 6 oz portion of ice cream is a violation.  My usual portion of ice cream is more like 20 oz.  I'd consider that a violation.  Can I stop at 6?  Just for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment