Thursday, November 15, 2012

Seaweed salad, first attempt.

Back to starting the day with a plan, and doing the day according to plan.  Kinda.  I was dragging my feet with respect to getting to work.  Reading on the porch instead.  Kinda chilly out there, but it's where I'm most comfortable reading.  I did the broccoli at about 7, ice cream about 11, went to work about 2, got the mail out and did some extra biking, maybe 5 mile total instead of 2.  Had juice and sandwich in an empty room in my building about 5.  Did some shelving and listing of books for a couple hours.  Came home and made the seaweed salad.  It was left to marinate all day in vinegar and spices, but I doubt that did much.  Shaved some onion and pepper and ginger and cooked a hunk of black rice noodles (tangent alert).  I went pretty much high fiber years ago.  Has it outlived its purpose, I was wondering as I browsed the noodle choices.  I wanted something to suppress my appetite and give me a full feeling.  Is brown bread that much better than white bread, for that purpose?  Even if not, other purposed support black rice instead of plain rice noodles, and all the other fiber choices I make.  It generally just tastes better.  Anyhow -- that was OK.  It filled a large bowl -- dressed with sesame oil, soy sauce, and balsamic vinegar.  Quite chewy -- couldn't gum this -- wore my dentures.  Not like the buffet, but not bad.  I'll do it again, but next time with the dry seaweed.  What's left of the wet I'll next try roasted,  Just curious.  I'll add some too next time I do cabbage.  And the fish -- it wasn't scaled, so I skinned it.  The skin will go to stock with the bones and scraps.  I don't weigh my food, but estimate I did get about 4-5 oz from the thick part of one side of the steak.  The thin parts and other thick part were reserved.  I think I'll do a huge breakfast tomorrow with broccoli pilaf with some of the reserved salmon.  The piece I just ate was cooked in cedar paper -- no oil, just a sprinkle of seafood seasoning, one of those mixes you find on a spice rack.  Nicely done -- a little char at the edges, which stuck to the paper, but well worth scraping off, and flaky flesh.  Just ate as is -- no dressing, no nothing, just fish flakes eaten with fingers.

Now I planned on grilled cheese with shaved fennel.  Gonna do that now, about quarter to ten.  As for plan -- pilaf breakfast, subway $5 footlong for two snacks, 3 inches at a time.  The half that remains I can do for breakfast on Saturday.  I'll get the oat bread, as usual.  Not sure what sandwich I'll get.  Likely whatever the monthly special is -- maybe tuna melt if I pick from the regular menu.  I favor banana peppers among the toppings.  Always provolone cheese when given a choice.  Dinner.... pondering the fridge.  I've had butternut squash just sitting around.  I could George Foreman grill some slices and eat that with a packet of Indian dal that I bought yesterday. No meat needed, but maybe some pasta.  About 1/3 package of whole wheat egg noodles.  Late snack?  I'll make a smoothie with kefir and apple and cranberry and some more of the butternut.

My reading has been from a book lent me by someone at church -- about an active lay woman in an urban California church.  Hard to put my reactions to early reading into words.  Just enough said perhaps that artsy people with spiritual sensitivity is a group to which I feel I've little to give, but wish I did.  I feel so left out.  But, heck, is there any group I feel drawn in?  Most groups though, I'm quite content to be left out.  This is a group where I lose that contentment.  As for the drawn in remark -- I'm actually feeling a bit of that.  It's not exactly an unfamiliar feeling, but rather uncommon and a bit unsettling, though gratifying.  I'm not yet confident, and confidence is indeed rather unfamiliar and wholly unreliable. Now its past 10 -- best get moving on the grilled cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment