Saturday, November 17, 2012

culinary and dietary missteps

Today didn't exactly go according to plan.  I've not really eaten dinner yet.  Last I ate was a pound of soup beans from an IGA grocery in Palmyra.  Now some cabbage is cooking.  Perhaps I could have just gone to sleep without, but I said I'd do this and I'm doing it.

Yesterday did go according to plan, pretty much.  I had a big breakfast -- a cup (8 oz dry measure) of mixed whole grains, cooked with several cups of chopped veggies, mostly mirepoix and broccoli stem.  Then I poached about 2-3 oz of salmon on top.  I ate it all -- about 3-4 standard bowls.  I thought of putting some aside, and will have to start doing so sometime.  I can eat this quite often, but I need to buy the bulk grains again.  I depleted my supply.  Steel cut oats, millet, kasha buckwheat, coarse bulgar, hulled barley, and brown rice.  I've added rolled rye in the past -- not lately.  This has been go-to breakfast for 4 years or so now.

All day at the antique mall, working on my booth, I went out at 11 for a BMT footlong from Subway.  Cut into 4 sections, I ate one then, one about 2:30 and gave the other half to Donna to take to work.  Then I started cooking her dinner of Philly sandwich -- thin sliced beef with onions,  A bit was left which I added to my beans... a different brand of Indian foil-packed, let me find it.... Ashoka Dal Makhani... didn't find a good link for this with all the info... suffice that it was quite different from MTR Dal Makhani -- less beans and more sauce and quite buttery, quite a few fat grams and calories.  Good that I'd planned on noodles with it... whole grain egg noodles in this case.  I reserved half that and ate for breakfast this morning, with about 3 tbsp of sour cream and large zucchini diced coarsely and steamed.  Anyhow -- late last night I mixed up a smoothie with butternut (forgot to say that dinner included butternut medallions marinade in pepper-flavor olive oil, molasses, nutmeg, and allspice -- four pieces, about 3/4" thick and 3" around, maybe a pound).  Anyhow -- in prepping them for the grill, I shaved flat on a mandolin and steamed the shaving for the smoothie.  To that was added a pear, some cranberries, some frozen collard stems, and some frozen pineapple wedges.  Also plain Lifeway kefir.  The flavored stuff is too sweet.  I had a 12 oz cup and saved another 16 oz or so for a portable snack.

Today, I've already mentioned breakfast (leftover noodles) and a deli container of beans from the hot table of the IGA.  I finally got my bike rack on my car -- a spare tire mount that wasn't supposed to fit my model, but I made it fit.  I can't open the back door with it installed, though.  Didn't realize it's not really meant to be an installation -- needs to go on and off -- easy enough to do except climbing low to get a purchase for hooks to secure straps.  I took the bike to less hilly terrain and rode from Boyd Tavern to Keswick to Shadwell and back.  The Shadwell to Boyd leg was along US 250, not very pleasant.  I had packed water and had some on route, about 800 ml total, but I forgot to transfer my snacks from car to bike.  Ate right away upon return to car.  It was an energy bar that I found quite suitable.  If the brand would carry flavors not based on candy flavors, I'd be inclined to look no further and buy only this.  I've yet to find a good fruit flavor bar and am still looking.

I had planned on the bike ride to stop at a convenience store or rural grocery and get a bean burrito.  Didn't pass any such store, but probably one in Keswick I could have grabbed one, especially on discovering I failed to pack the sports bar.  So, not long after my post-ride snack, I took an unfamiliar road that I hoped would come out near Monticello, but instead of SW, took me East.  I went to Palmyra to get over to Rt 53, and stopped at an IGA I know.  That's where I got the beans, with some stuff to bring home, a can of mustard greens, some fat free gravies, and some sardines all on sale.  Also some beef and chicken broth in cans.  60 cents each.

At home I had left some stock steeping in the slow cooker -- roasted vegetable scraps and some lean beef.  Donna had woken to think it soup and had some.  I had to giggle.  Tomorrow it will be soup.  I was going to make some tonight, but decided to let the stock settle in the fridge overnight.  So tomorrow, I've not well planned.  I'm going to Sunday School at Chestnut Ridge, and will snack after.  I may fast until that snack.  Coming home for lunch, I'll need to have started my soup in the morning.  I haven't really thought much past the stock, which seems pretty tasty, but measures only 2 cups.  Borscht would be cool, but no beets.   Maybe I'll do goulash.  Tons and tons of onions.  That's the ticket.  I've a bit of beef reserved.  The solids I pulled out earlier, I pretty much ate what was edible, carrots mostly.  Cabbage core, Fennel base, little beef bits.  I'll stew the roasted beef in 1/2 in cubes (only 5-6 oz left) and caramalize the onions.  Anyhow -- that should do for lunch.  Then OA sunday meeting and 5PM service at Buck Mountain.  I'll let Donna do dinner.  If I need something late at night, I'll steam some sweet potato and eat with guacomole.

Cabbage nearly done.  I put some Salmon on top to poach, about 3 oz.  Cabbage made with julienne-cut carrot and broccoli stalk and some seaweed.  It was smelling pretty fishy before I added the salmon.  Seasoned with some garlic/ginger asian spice mix.  I'll go eat that now.  Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment